WORK PERMITS & COOGAN ACCOUNTS
- Division of Labor Standards Enforcement Site
- California Division of Labor Locations
- Procedures for Obtaining an Entertainment Work Permit (PDF)
- Application for Permission to Work in the Entertainment Industry (PDF)
WORK PERMITS - UNDER 18
The state of California requires a special work permit for children under 18.
Your local office will be able to tell you exactly what you need to acquire a work permit for your child.
You should contact your local counties work permit office regarding entertainment work permits.
- Click here to download and print out work permit form.
- Click here to visit the California Division of Labor Standards Enforcement web site.
- Click here for 10 Day Temporary Entertainment Work Permit Can, which can be issued immediately.
According to California State Law, all parents whose children work in the entertainment industry are required to open a Coogan account. It is mandatory that parents set aside 15% of their child’s gross earnings. Parents cannot touch the money without a court order or until the child is eighteen. This law was passed in 2000 as a result of Jackie Coogan and other prior child stars whose parents had unlawfully spent all of their earnings.
Ask your bank about setting up a Coogan account. It is usually easier to do this before your child's work date. For more information about Coogan accounts, click here.